Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Now he's cooking

After being inspired by a wonderful nightstand makeover featured on the inspiring Better After Blog, I decided I needed to get my hands on an old nightstand too.
My friend Debbie offered up this victim and I went to work following the inspiration of Lauren at Long-Winded Lauren to create a kitchen for my son Jack for his birthday.
As anyone who looks at play kitchens know, they can cost quite a bit of money. This project probably cost me around $20 total... with the most expensive item being the enamal bowl ($10) used for the sink.

Most items I already had on hand. I used old cds for the burners combined with pieces of wood and old knobs for the knobs. Jack actually helped me pick out the cute alien fabric, though he had no idea what I was going to use it for.

It was nice to create my own kitchen because I could cater it to a boy. While some in the toy industry have made their kitchens gender nuetral, some still are heavy on the pink.

This was my first project using a jigsaw, and cutting a circle the right size proved a little harder than I anticipated, but Jack doesn't seem to mind the imperfections.

I'm actually a little jealous of his kitchen, I love the farmhouse style of it. I'll have to paint my cabinets soon.

I'm linking this to Beneath My Hearts best DYI's of March party.

11 comments:

Lauren said...

I love your kitchen, especially all of those details (like the pot lid with Jack's name). So cute! You did a great job!

Misty Gower said...

I love it, Rene! You rock.

amanda said...

totally adore this! Wilson thought you used real countertop...and we both like the strawberry plant! what a fun touch!

Cook with Claire said...

WOW! This is too cute --I love it. You are so talented!

Tina said...

This is gorgeous!! What a fantastic job you have done! I bet your son loves it!! ~ Tina x

Camie at "Home is where they love you" said...

"that's so cute..." No really it's adorable! My kids would love that.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Debbie said...

That is so creative and adorable. Love it! Lucky Jack!

A Southern Rose said...

What a great idea. My little boy who is now almost 19, always wanted a little kitchen. Of course his daddy said 'no' because he thought it would be too girly. The ones we always saw were usually pink. I wish I would've thought of this years ago for him!

Hugs,
Lee Laurie

P.S. My son has his own kitchen now and he loves it! He loves to cook! Maybe your son will too!

Cassie said...

This is so creative. I love it and I love way better than one of those plastic expensive ones! Great Job.

MoonChylde said...

This is too adorable and so creative! I too have a son who love to 'cook' and call himself a 'chef' all the time! I've been on the lookout for a cheap play kitchen but this will be awesome! Thanks so my for the inspiration!!!

Panya said...

We have that very same dresser! We got it as a hand-me-down when we first got together. The drawers don't really work anymore, but I've been holding on to it until I can think of something to do with it. Your project looks great!