Thursday, April 28, 2011

It's puppet time

I wish I would have done a tutorial for this, but I was really winging it and was in a time crunch (hence the slightly eschew window.)

A while back, I picked up a canvas show curtain thinking I could use it for something. I did use it to recover a chair, but had enough left to make a puppet theater. I just had to add some coordinating fabric to the bottom to make it long enough.

I discovered after I made my hole, and finished off with seam binding, that I needed to add some fusible interfacing to the backside, to keep the window from falling forward. (It actually would have benefitted from a stiffer interfacing, but I was using what I had on hand.)

Ages ago I picked up some old felt board letters and have been able to use them for several projects. I was really glad to have them on hand for this project.

My darling neices were happy with their theater, although everyone also wanted to see out of the window too... so funny.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

T-shirt redo

So when I was getting ready for a garage sale, I came across some clothes that I couldn't sell because of of stains. I decided to salvage some of those shirts and turn the designs into appliques to redo, plain shirts. I simply used Pellon (follow the directions on the product), to turn them into iron-ons and then ironed them to the plain shirts. I also did a zig-zag stitch around the edge of the applique.

Getting a picture of my little guy in this handy work is easier said then done.

Whew, he finally stood still. Here's his "new" shirt.

 I used the technique on a couple of shirts for him and a few shirts for me ...yeah, I was able to salvage my own Donald Duck and Pippi Longstocking T-shirts.

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Whew, that took some doing...

So, I got this chair for free and it needed a lot of work as you can see.... but I thought it had beautiful lines, so it was worth the effort.

I'm not entirely happy with how it turned out. It will probably be redone again in the future, but it is definitely an improvement from where it came from... maybe when my sewing skills get a little better I'll redo it again.
I also decided to shop my basement for a "new" coffee table. I, of course, forgot to take a before picture, but just imagine a  plain black trunk. (which I was just using for storage.)
I decided to give it some flair by adding the Union Jack and added some travel inspired stickers to it. I also added casters, so it's easy to move ...and the greatest part is that it now holds Jack's hot wheel collection.