Thursday, February 24, 2011

Painted Fabric...the easiest form of reupholstry...

When I picked up this chair, I mainly did it because it had excellent lines, not because I liked the fabric. The 70s green was in excellant shape, however, so I hated to rip it apart.
That's when I read a posting on Primative & Proper about simple painting an upholstered piece using a special textile medium.
It transformed my dated avacodo into a white-washed beauty. The fabric becomes almost like a vinyl, which means easy clean-up, a nice feature with a Messy Marvin running around the house.

I've been wanting to use this technique again and was excited when I found some more "victims," some parson's chairs from Craigslist.

I'm sure my husband wishes food prep would take place on this counter, instead of chair transformations.


Don't worry, Honey, I'll cook again...I promise.

I'm linking this to The Freckled Laundry's awesome linky party.

15 comments:

amanda said...

I love them. so much.

were the legs of those parson's chairs originally upholstered? weird.

they really look great.

I didn't realize you had painted the green chair, it looks so different!

if you can sell your stuff, I bet Bob won't mind the chair transformations on the kitchen counter as much!

Maureen said...

They look absolutely awesome! Great job.

chris said...

Your chairs are fabulous! I'd never considered painting them. Well done.

Cassie Bustamante said...

those look fabulous!!! i painted a bed once that was upholstered and it really saved it! i can't upholster, but i can paint! anyhow, your chairs are awesome!

Serendipity Chic Design said...

Wow....I am super impressed! Does the number 12 mean you actually did 12 of those chairs??

Take care,
Lisa

Abby said...

I never knew you could do that! Can't wait to try this out!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

What a difference! This is fabulous.

Unknown said...

Very cool. I would have never thought to paint an entire chair. They look really good. Thanks so much for sharing with Air Your Laundry Friday.

xo,
Jami

scrappy25 said...

this is amazing. Did you use the same paint mix on your wood parts as on the fabric, or did you just use the latex?

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

I must try this on my own rust colored fabric chair that I don't have the time to reupholster. Does it come in any color?

Nita Stacy said...

Wow! I've heard of this but never seen it done. Is it comfortable to sit on? Love the green chair transformation.

Jess said...

These are so gorgeous. Love the, all. I really like the numbers on the parsons chairs, but the green is a true heartstopper for me. Beautiful.

Alison said...

Love the 10 and 12 chairs!!! And I had no idea that you only painted the first one! wow!

Jenny Doke said...

These are incredible! What color did you use on the green chair turned tan?

Parents of a Dozen said...

Great idea!! I just pinned your pics.