Thursday, March 18, 2010

Day After Breakfast

Today, there's probably a few people nursing a hangover. Not me. I always celebrate St. Patrick by making Soda Bread. Today, I'm enjoying a wonderful breakfast of coffee and soda bread.
My husband likes to tease me that I'm really not that "Irish." To which I'm tempted to say, "You're really not a big Jackass," but I don't. I bite my tongue.
I'm some Irish and to me that's what matters.
Besides, this is how I like my soda bread... in big giant hunks. What's not Irish about that?
But yesterday, my soda bread tradition was in jeopardy. I couldn't find my recipe labeled "Dad's Soda Bread." (Note of explanation, I'm not even sure if I have Irish on my Dad's side... I know I have it on my Mom's side. There' Scotch on my Dad's side---but for some reason he uncharacteristically ripped out a recipe for soda bread and made it one year. From that point on I labeled it Dad's soda bread, though I think he only made it that one time. I like to pretend it's been passed down for generations.)
Luckily, I found a blog that had a very similar recipe and it turned out lovely. Hopefully, I'll find that cookbook though because it does actually have a few family recipes in it.
I felt very lucky to find the soda bread recipe and the wonderful blog by Claire, which has oodles of beautiful photographs and other recipes I want to try. Check out her lovely blog, Cook with Claire, but I warn you, your mouth will water.
Here's her soda bread recipe.

3 comments:

amanda said...

what the...?

Dad made soda bread? I don't even know what soda bread is! I think its quite possible that you got all the "irish" and I got none.

hehehe.

i'll have to check out the blog

Cook with Claire said...

Gosh-thanks so much for visiting my blog and then blogging about it!! Hope you do some more cooking and baking in between all your creative projects! Love, love, love the green cabinet. Are those your china pears? I love those, too!

Tina said...

Hi Rene, I just wanted to say hi and thanks for stopping by my blog. I am so happy that you did, because now I have found yours:) Love the look of this soda bread so thanks for sharing the link to the recipe!! Will be giving it a try for sure:) Loved the cupboard makeover in your last post too, it looks gorgeous!! Wishing you a wonderful weekend ~ Tina x