Monday, April 27, 2009

Me and my man!

Bob hardly got the words, "Maybe we should stay at a Bed and Breakfast for our anniversary," out of his mouth before I was on the Internet searching for just the right one. We thought about going to Toronto or someplace out of state, but decided instead to give our state whatever economic boost we could.
The website http://www.michigan.org/ was really helpful with my research. I soon discovered there was a plethora of B&B options, but unfortunately a lot of them are covered from floor to ceiling in rose wallpaper. Now, I love flowers, but I'd rather have some in a vase than on wallpaper... I wanted to find something romantic without making Bob feel like he was having the testosterone sucked out of him.

Well, the Belvedere Inn in Saugatuck was just perfect. The room was lovely and cozy with a window seat big enough for two.

Here's the view from our room, which was beautiful even if the spring color had not yet begun to work it's magic. I'd love to see that view in all seasons.

What a grand entrance, eh? This little mansion was the summer home for a Chicago family. It was built in 1913 by a colleague of Frank Loyd Wright.

A summer home, can you imagine?

Of course, a trip to Saugatuck would not be complete without a trip to the beach, even if things are a little on the dreary side... do we look disappointed?
And here we are on the grounds of the Belvedere again. It was the perfect way to celebrate our anniversary, which is coming up on Thursday.
Besides offering a great room, the Inn has delicious food. Because we visited in the spring we got a discount on a four course dinner on Saturday night. It was easily the best meal I have ever had and one I won't soon forget. Most of all I just loved the company. I really felt like I was on my honeymoon all over again.
I wouldn't mind trying a different Bed and Breakfast every year, I think it would be a neat way to experience different communities. There is even one I'm very interested in in Detroit called the Inn on Ferry St. The only problem---it's difficult to follow-up on perfection.
Give their website a visit at http://www.boutiqueinnsofsaugatuck.com/




5 comments:

Liz Harrell said...

BEAUTIFUL! And any man that suggests a bed and breakfast trip is A-OK in my book. :)

TLC said...

Wow Rene, it looks like my kind of heaven! Curl up on the window seat with a good book and you could pinch me! Glad you guys had fun!

amanda said...

lovely sis, can't wait to hear about it.

Theresa Roach said...

Aww cool. It looks really lovely there. :) can't believe that was someone's summer home though. Wild.

jen duncan said...

Hi! I followed your comment on my blog over here and have REALLY been enjoying all your creative posts. A girl after my own heart! :-) But I had to stop on this particular post because it was very sweet and I'm always so happy to see a couple sincerely working on their *we*. So important. Happy Anniversary!